Saturday, January 10, 2009

another day at walgreens

I'm gonna start by saying that in the past...three years or so working for this company, there have been days that I have hated. Absolutely loathed. However, I have recently (within the last half year) started to appreciate and enjoy working there. Though it can be frustrating, and people can be somewhat annoying, and difficult, I legitimately have come to love it. The interaction with people, I find enlightening and entertaining. I like being the super-peppy cashier. I like genuinely smiling at people as they come and go. I love trying to help them with anything that they may need.

I've seen a lot of bad, or grumpy employees. Not just at Walgreens, but everywhere. You know the type, the ones that look as if they'd rather be anywhere else in the world but there, helping you. The ones that only respond, when you speak to them first. I don't want to be like them. I really think it's obnoxious when people act like that, because they're being paid to help. And even if they weren't, shouldn't you help people anyway?

I feel as though a lot of our generation is selfish, and have a huge feeling of entitlement. As if they deserve to have that job, as if they are doing people a service, simply by being there working. Not true! Why aren't we more thankful? I have a job, and I'm so grateful for it. It means that I'm not wasting a lot of my time with loafing, or being lazy. I'm being productive. It's teaching me things that I can use later in life. It's paying me, and I am thankful for that money, and the opportunity. Yet, I see so many people that want nothing to do with working.

I see the point of not having a job while in school, because it can be overwhelming, or whatever. Yet, if you have one, what's the point of hating it? You're not helping anyone, and chances are, you're making people feel less happy. Be joyful. You get the pleasure of helping! So do it. And besides, the Bible says we should work as though working for the Lord, right? So be glad. If you are reading this, you are more than blessed. Please see the glass as half full, and try to be a light for others. Make someone's day. Smile. Be glad and rejoice.

No comments: