Tuesday, December 2, 2008

good morning starshine

...the earth says "Hello!"

I'm simply excited about life in general. Which is always a good thing. Today, is a fantastic day. And it's only 11:10. Think of all the good that can come after this. I love days like this. I love watching what God does, little by little. It's sunny out, and no matter how cold it gets, I will smile if the sunshine touches me. True, it is freezing...however, SUNSHINE. So it really doesn't matter. And besides, I finally get to utilize all of the scarves/hats/gloves that I've accumulated in the last two years.

I'm extremely excited about today because of my previous class. I love anthropology. It's so interesting. I might dare say it's more interesting than history, because it's more current, more about things in the today and now. I love learning about people, and culture, and history, and why their ideas change and where they're coming from. History has always been my favorite thing, because you can go back and look at all of the transitions, and see how things developed. Even though it's hundreds, or thousands of years later, I still love it. Yet, anthropology, on the other hand, is much more recent. People are doing work within the last century, and some of them, within the last decade. That's so much more relevant to my life. So, I love the class in general, and it is the one class that I have made a point not to skip. :) It totally helps that it's only twice a week, and it starts at about 10:00, but whatever, I don't want to miss it.

Even though I love the class, that isn't why I'm super excited. I'm excited, because I think I just made a new friend. And that, is worth smiling about. I love introductions, and meeting people and learning about someone. Hopefully this pans out well. I think it will.

I know that we, as humans, hunger for relationships. I can see it in others' lives, in my own. I know that this is how we were created, and that we need each other. (Sanctus Real, anyone?) I know what it's like to feel as if you're abandoned, like there isn't a person in the world who you could legitimately talk to. On the flip side, I know what it's like to have a savior that will always be there, even if you momentarily ignore Him. And I know what it's like to have people that want to help, that want to be there for you.

I've never been one for acquaintances. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first weeks of school, I love the mass amount of potential friends, meeting everyone and learning names. I like that, but I have always wanted more. I would much rather have five friends that know my flaws and my strengths, rather than have 100 people that know that I like the color green. The friendships that I long for are the ones where I can tell them anything. Where they ask "How are you?" and you know they won't be satisfied with a generic "fine". We need others to care.

I'm not going to lie. There are a handful of people that I would love to get to know better here. I would love to know who they really are, and what they love most. I'd love to be better friends. Yet I can't force myself on others, can't make them want to be friends. It's an annoying balance. It's not normal to simply go up to someone and tell them that you want to be best friends, and ask them to tell you about their personal life. It takes time. It takes trust.

I guess I'll see how it goes. And until then, I'll be happy, because today...there's sunshine.

No comments: